Teaching the basics of tree planting, tree care, and how to rally communities around the importance of trees.
PHS Tree Tenders® is at the forefront of the urban tree movement across the country, and is one of the oldest, most respected volunteer urban tree planting and stewardship programs in the world. The program offers hands-on tree care training, covering biology, identification, planting and proper care.
Since 1993, the training program has graduated more than 4,000 Tree Tenders® in the Greater Philadelphia area. Working in neighborhood groups, the program’s volunteers are responsible for planting more than 2,000 trees annually.
The strong growth in participating groups has proved to be an indication not only of the expanding reach of the Tree Tenders®, but also the pride and sense of purpose volunteers feel as a result of improving their neighborhoods.
Take a Class
For more information call 215.988.1698.
For information on scholarships contact Mindy Maslin at 215.988.8844.
This series consists of eight 1½ -2 hour classes; each class focuses on a specific topic. They are for individuals with pre-existing basic knowledge, either from the Tree Tenders basic training or other life experience.
1. Advanced Tree Identification: Buds, Bark, and Branches
2. Tree Health Monitoring
3. Structural Problems in Trees/Advanced Tree Pruning
4. Non-native Invasive Insects and Diseases of Trees
5. Advocacy/Tree Policy – Nurturing your Inner – Tree Advocate
6. The Soil – Tree Relationship
7. Choosing the Right Tree for the Right Place
8. Riparian Plantings
Fee: $25 for the series
Apply for Trees
- Read the PHS guide on Organizing a Community Tree Planting
- Visit the Philadelphia TreeVitalize street tree application page
- To apply for yard trees for a Philadelphia school, park, business or institution, contact Mindy Maslin
- To apply for trees in Bucks, Delaware, Chester or Montgomery counties, contact Barley VanClief
Tree Tenders Resources
- Find Tree Tenders in your neighborhood, by consulting our collection of Tree Tenders maps
- Watch instructional videos in the Tree Tenders Video Library
- Use the Urban Forest Cloud to apply for and track trees planted in your neighborhood/community
- Find out how to get a tree planted in Philadelphia
The Tree Tenders program is made possible through the generous support of:
- Alliance for Community Trees
- An Anonymous Donor
- The Golden Rule Foundation
- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Philadelphia Parks and Recreation
- TD Bank Green Streets Program
Spring 2016 PHS Tree Tenders Photo Contest
Plant One Million
Join the Plant One Million Movement!
Plant One Million is the largest multi-state tree campaign in the nation, with a goal to restore the tree canopy cover—the area of land shaded by trees—in the Greater Philadelphia Region to 30 percent. Click here to learn more.
Click here to learn more about volunteer opportunities.