The PHS/Tree Vitalize tree planting program supports neighborhood volunteer tree planting every April and November
Tree Tenders® groups in Philadelphia that are willing and able to organize a neighborhood volunteer tree planting event of at least 10 street trees are invited to apply. PHS will supply the trees and pavement cuts at no cost (note: Submitting an application does not guarantee your group will receive trees). Eligibility and selection criteria are described below. Funding for seasonal plantings is limited.
Note to property owners - if you are requesting a tree for your property, contact your local Tree Tenders group for an application.
To be eligible to apply for trees you must:
- Be an active, approved Tree Tenders group, with at least three people who have graduated from PHS’ Tree Tenders class. For more information on the Tree Tenders program and to register for the next class, click here.
- For first-time applicants, at least one representative from your Tree Tenders group must attend an Organizing a Tree Planting Training before you can begin soliciting applications. RSVP to Mindy Maslin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215 988 8844.
- Individual property owners requesting a street tree should contact their local Tree Tenders group for an application.
Tree Planting Materials
If approved, your group will receive:
- Between 10 and 100 trees to plant in your neighborhood, based on your group’s request, capacity, and level of experience. The number, species, and type of nursery stock (balled & burlap, container, or bare root) of trees approved will be determined by PPR and PHS. Bare-root trees will be used wherever possible.
- Cutting and removal of pavement, as needed and as funding allows. *Please note that if the property owner cancels the tree request after submitting the request form and the sidewalk has already been cut, the owner will be held responsible for the cost of replacing the pavement.*
- Tree stakes and arbor ties.
- Free mulch is available at the Fairmount Park Recycling Center.
- Property owners are also responsible for removing any stumps or dead trees at the planting site.
About Our Partners
Plant One Million is a regional partnership led by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) with a goal to plant one million trees throughout 13 counties in southeastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. The goal is to restore the “tree canopy cover”—the area of land shaded by trees—in the Greater Philadelphia Region to 30 percent. TreeVitalize is a program launched by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources in 2005 to increase tree canopy in urbanized areas.
PHS is the lead partner for TreeVitalize in southeastern Pennsylvania. PHS is a private non-profit organization that motivates people to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community through horticulture. PHS Tree Tenders is an educational program offering classes on tree biology, identification, planting, and proper care. Philadelphia Park and Recreation urban forestry technicians oversee street tree planting and care within Philadelphia.
Application Deadline: November 27, 2018
Tree Pickup: April 17-19, 2019
Planting: April 18-21, 2019
Submit complete application package by May 7, 2018.
PHS Plant One Million
100 N. 20th St., 5th flr
Philadelphia, PA 19103