Plant One Million is a regional partnership led by PHS to plant one million trees throughout 13 counties in southeastern Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
Plant One Million is the largest multi-state tree campaign in the nation, with a goal to restore the tree canopy cover—the area of land shaded by trees—in the Greater Philadelphia Region to 30 percent. PHS is pleased to partner with the Philadelphia Parks & Recreation’s TreePhilly program, the New Jersey Tree Foundation, The Delaware Center for Horticulture, and the DCNR TreeVitalize program to plant trees to help achieve our collective vision of a greener and healthier region.
Highlights during the fifth year of the campaign
- PHS Tree Tenders planted more than 1,900 trees in Philadelphia and more than 1,100 trees in surrounding counties.
- TreeVitalize Watershed grantee organizations planted 12,000 trees in riparian areas throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- As part of the Phillies’ “Home Runs for Trees” program, 250 trees were given away to Phillies fans and property owners.
- TD Bank Tree Days participants planted 90 trees on the campus of Eugino Hostos De Maria Charter School in October.
- Students at Strawberry Mansion High School planted 12 trees on campus in April as part of Earth Month celebrations.
- 350 trees were distributed to University of Pennsylvania employees in May.
- 50 trees were planted at Philadelphia Housing Authority residences this fall.
Plant One Million and PHS tree planting work is made possible through the generous support of:
- AQUA America
- The Arbor Day Foundation
- Bartlett Tree Experts
- Green Mountain Energy
- The Panaphil Foundation
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- City of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Phillies
- TD Bank
- United States Environmental Protection Agency