Philadelphia International Airport and PHS are collaborating on a design competition to create an “Image Maker” landscape at the Airport. In line with PHS initiatives that transform public space, a Design Competition for PHL is an opportunity to demonstrate Philadelphia’s position as America’s Garden Capital and a chance to create a welcoming and iconic Philadelphia image.
The Airport is a visitor’s first and last impression of the city. It is a welcome-home and come-home-soon to the city’s residents. It is a measure of investment for potential business. The experience of any city’s airport sets the tone for the traveler; the landscape around the airport plays a vital role in setting that tone. Is it friendly? Is it beautiful? How does it function in the world’s changing environment? Is it iconic? Does it speak to both the history and the future of the city? A re-imagined landscape at the Airport can do all of this and more.
The PHL “Image Maker” landscape design competition begins with an international call for RFQs which will result in the selection of 4 finalist teams to be invited to a juried Design Competition. Each finalist team will receive a stipend of $20,000 to develop a thoughtful, creative, environmentally appropriate concept plan and associated budget for the Airport. The intention of the concept plan is to provide a detailed tool for the Airport to seek funding for design development and phased construction implementation.
- Create an iconic PHL landscape
- Enhance the sustainability and the resiliency of the Airport landscape
- Provide a customer-friendly and memorable arrival and departure Airport experience
How to participate
- Please register using the form below. After registering you will be able to download the RFQ.
- A web-based information session will be held on Wednesday, June 28, 2017, at 1 p.m. EST. To attend the Request for Qualifications information webinar on June 28, 2017, please sign up here. After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. THIS IS A SEPARATE REGISTRATION, for the webinar only. In order to receive future correspondence regarding the competition and to download the RFQ you MUST register your firm using the form below. The webinar will be recorded. If you are unable to attend the webinar, the presentation will be available on the PHS website.
- Additional questions must be submitted no later than July 7, 2017.
- All responses to the RFQ must be received by 2 pm EST, July 21, 2017.
Please send questions to ImageMaker@pennhort.org. Do not contact any other representatives of PHS or PHL prior to submitting qualifications.
Along with PHS, facilitation of the PHL Image Maker Design Competition is being conducted by Hinge Collective.