PHS celebrates the accomplishments of gardeners in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware with the PHS Gardening and Greening Contest. This contest invites backyard gardeners, community gardeners, and anyone passionate about greening our public spaces to enter. Winners will be selected in each category and invited to a special awards ceremony.
2019 Gardening and Greening Contest Entry Information
May 1 - June 8, 2019
Judging: July 1 - July 31, 2019
Entry Form Coming Soon!
Individual gardeners may enter in-ground gardens or gardens grown exclusively in containers. Community gardeners may enter vegetable and flower gardens, garden blocks, and public-space plantings and parks. Also eligible are businesses that have beautified their establishments.
- Children’s Garden: Children’s Garden A home garden, a plot within a community garden, or a garden on school grounds that is maintained primarily by school-age children, usually under adult supervision.
- Community Garden: A community garden with gardeners growing vegetables and flowers where both makes a significant impact. Urban Farms may also be entered where there is an entrepreneurial component present in the garden.
- Garden Block: A commercial or residential block with container plantings, hanging baskets, or in ground plantings. Commercial block maybe maintained by a business group.
- Public Space: Parks or Plantings: Gardens located in public spaces such as parks, libraries, churches, hospital grounds, train stations, traffic islands, businesses, etc.
Gardeners who are growing in-ground plants at their homes in various ways. Please select one:
- Flower Garden: Any size garden containing mostly flowers and/or trees and shrubs. This includes community flower gardens and specialty flower gardens.
- Combination Garden: Any size garden with both vegetables and flowers where both have significant impact.
- Vegetable Garden: Any size garden with mostly vegetables, cared for by an individual, or a community vegetable garden cared for by three or more people.
- Container Garden: A garden, patio, porch, or front stoop that primarily features plants in containers.
Contestants are eligible to take PHS gardening programs at reduced costs. Specific programming events coming soon!
Winners will be invited to an awards reception where photographs of the winning gardens will be showcased.
Volunteer judges are chosen for their expertise and accomplishments in gardening. Garden entries are judged on maintenance and horticultural practices as well as the variety, color, and suitability of plantings. Design and total visual effects are also considered, with extra points awarded for creativity and sustainable practices. Gardens outside the area may be judged by skype, if no volunteer judges are available.
Congratulations to the 2018 Contest Award Winners
Click here for a list of all 2018 PHS Gardening and Greening Contest winners.
For more information, please contact Johanna Schoeller at:
e: [email protected]